Sunday, September 9, 2012

#7 Reaching Outside the Classroom

First Project:

I would design a collaborative project with my 3D Modeling class, and a Guthrie Architectural class.

The content objective would be to learn architectural vocabulary, and to help my students see real world application of their learning. I would also have them research Architectural jobs, and see how much they could make. I have a student this semester who knows he wants to be an architect, and it is a joy to work with him.

I would implement this in the spring, or next fall. I will have to talk to my friends at Guthrie. I met them this summer. We discussed what my students need to know before they take their class. They have AutoCad, and a very cool set up. They gave me magazines, and other goodies. I love my new friends!

I would use Today's Meet, and Skype.

Second Project:

I have a classroom contact in South Africa. Two years ago, I was one of only 24 teachers selected nationwide to go to South Africa with the National Council on Economic Education. We went to rural schools to meet with teachers and discuss economic lessons. (I also love Economics.)

I met a computer teacher, and while he didn't have Skype then, he might have it now. I would love to set up a Skype with his class. Every year I share with my students about this school - they have a 16 room building with NO running water. They collect rain water in a cistern.

The students (learners) do not have electricity or water in their homes. These learners have seen what having no education has done to their parents, and they are so determined to get an education. They are respectful, and yearn to learn. Many classes do not have teachers, and the students will take turns being the teacher. They actually had a sit in at one school, demanding a teacher. It was an accounting class, and they were not able to teach one another. In South Africa, you must take a national test to go to college. If you don't pass that test, no college. They needed a accounting teacher!

I lived in South Africa in 1995, and I am dismayed at the slow progress in their educational system.


No comments:

Post a Comment